The Goa State Human Rights Commission (GHRC) was established on the 4th of March 2011.
The GHRC helps people to resolve situations where there might have been infringement by public servants of fundamental rights enshrined in the Constitution of India.
If people are unable to resolve complaints themselves and if the complaints are found to be within the Commission’s jurisdiction, the Commission
can provide investigation and redress into such complaints.
The State Human Rights Commission is a statutory autonomous body that administers the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993. The Act is intended to help ensure that all people in India are treated fairly.
The Commission has the power-
- To inquire, suo motu or on a petition presented to it by a victim or any person on his behalf, into complaint of-
- violation of human rights or abetment thereof; or
- negligence in the prevention of such violation, by a public servant
- To intervene in any proceeding involving any allegation of violation of human rights pending before a court with the approval of such court
- To visit, under intimation to the State Government, any jail or any other institution under the control of the State Government, where persons are detained or lodged for purposes of treatment, reformation or protection to study the living conditions of the inmates and make recommendations thereon
- To review the safeguards provided by or under the Constitution or any law for the time being in force for the protection of human rights and recommend measures for their effective implementation
- To review the factors, including acts of terrorism that inhibit the enjoyment of human rights and recommend appropriate remedial measures
- To undertake and promote research in the field of human rights
- To spread human rights literacy among various sections of society and promote awareness of the safeguards available for the protection of these rights through publications, the media, seminars and other available means;
- To encourage the efforts of non-governmental organisations and institutions working in the field of human rights;
- Such other functions as it may consider necessary for the promotion of human rights